Welcome to Readers and Poets

This is the poetry that comes into my life. Please feel free to comment on anything here. I don't think there is too much beauty in the world nor poetry. I will include some comments myself sometimes and some information on the poets, but the real stars is the work itself.



I am a believer in the reader-response theory of reading which means the reader is the one who puts the meaning in the poem so every interpretation is correct. Even if the poet means one thing, it could mean something else to the reader. I am pretty laid back in interpretation as each of us have other experiences and needs when reading.



I like using Zebrareader because it gives me tremendous freedom in what I want to write.


Wednesday, November 10, 2010

William Carlos Williams


Blizzard
By WILLIAM CARLOS WILLIAMS

Snow:
years of anger following
hours that float idly down -
the blizzard
drifts its weight
deeper and deeper for three days
or sixty years, eh? Then
the sun! a clutter of
yellow and blue flakes -
Hairy looking trees stand out
in long alleys
over a wild solitude.
The man turns and there -
his solitary track stretched out
upon the world.

I have always felt that Williams is most zen of all of the poets. His poem, "The Red Wheelbarrow" is my favorite poem. In this poem, the poet shows the uselessness of anger. It really reflects what I have been feeling of late. I have been living my life feeling so much anger at people, events, situations that have occurred in my life. Although I am not at the end of my life as the person in this poem, the man in the poem finds that with all of his anger it has served nothing and that it served to keep him alone. I have found this to be so true.

I would think the poet's experiences as a working doctor really helped him see the futility of anger.( The above picture is one of my favorite of him on his house calls with one of his sons.) I really think he cared a great deal about his patients and about life and poetry. He worked at writing poems in between seeing patients and often used prescription pads to write his poems. He also wrote novels, short stories, critical essays and much more.

No comments: