Welcome to Readers and Poets

This is the poetry that comes into my life. Please feel free to comment on anything here. I don't think there is too much beauty in the world nor poetry. I will include some comments myself sometimes and some information on the poets, but the real stars is the work itself.



I am a believer in the reader-response theory of reading which means the reader is the one who puts the meaning in the poem so every interpretation is correct. Even if the poet means one thing, it could mean something else to the reader. I am pretty laid back in interpretation as each of us have other experiences and needs when reading.



I like using Zebrareader because it gives me tremendous freedom in what I want to write.


Sunday, November 7, 2010

Carl Sandburg


Choose
By CARL SANDBURG

The single fist and ready,
Or the open hand held out waiting.
Choose:
For we meet by one or the other.

I am an American so November means a month of in which Thanksgiving Day appears, but I am not always full of gratitude. Sometimes I am angry. The last election in the United States shows that I am not the only person angry at the way things are right now. I suspect there will be many angry people carving the Thanksgiving Day turkey if they are lucky enough to have one.

The other day I was looking at some old journals that I kept when I worked at the welfare office in a Midwestern city years ago. I thought it was cute that I put a sign up on my desk that read, "It's hard to soar like an eagle when you are surrounded by turkeys." Good heavens, what a hostile thing to put on my desk. There was a lot of hostility on that job site and I certainly did not improve matters.

My fist has been closed for most of my life and I have been in denial of it. I choose that way and wondered why people reacted to me in anger. Golly gee. As Mark Twain said: "Denial is not a river in Egypt." I was in denial for most of my life. People have been shrinking back from me and my anger for some time and I have been getting more angrier as they did. I reasoned they had no reason to. Yeah,right.

I have been going to church of late. I am not a Christian but they speak English and I am in a country that I have few people I can talk to. There is no danger that I will convert, but I have been listening to the message of the Bible. One of them is that God is love and that if you know God you must know love. As a Buddhist, I thought I felt my faith was superior to theirs. I was wrong. Love is important to both religions. I have been dealing too long with the closed fist. Its time I opened my hand and choose for Sandburg was right. We meet by one or the other. I am tired of being angry.

Thank you, Mr. Sandburg.

No comments: