Welcome to Readers and Poets

This is the poetry that comes into my life. Please feel free to comment on anything here. I don't think there is too much beauty in the world nor poetry. I will include some comments myself sometimes and some information on the poets, but the real stars is the work itself.



I am a believer in the reader-response theory of reading which means the reader is the one who puts the meaning in the poem so every interpretation is correct. Even if the poet means one thing, it could mean something else to the reader. I am pretty laid back in interpretation as each of us have other experiences and needs when reading.



I like using Zebrareader because it gives me tremendous freedom in what I want to write.


Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Lewis Carroll

Learn well your grammar,
And never stammar,
Write well and neatly,
And sing most sweetly,
Be enterprising,
Love early rising,
Go walk six miles,
Have ready smiles,
With lightsome laughter,
Soft flowing after.

I teach students that if they can say something in English that sounds smooth than most likely it is correct; but if their sentence is choppy there is a good likihood it is wrong. Of course, it is a generalization but I have found it to be correct. Lewis Carroll had trouble with a stammer and so was acutely aware how difficult it was to speak without one. Luckily, none of my students have one. I love this poem as a good example of what it is to speak any language especially the part about laughter.

No comments: